Okay peeps let’s talk padkos. The literal translation from Afrikaans is “road food”, but to me it’s more like road ESSENTIALS. I love my snacks anytime anywhere, but there’s something so nostalgic about munching on snacks while sitting in the car en route somewhere magical. Toasties and coffee from Peregrine Farmstall, sweets from a garage café or homemade cookies – these are all part of the traveling experience for HRH The Snack Kween herself (me).
Truth be told, though, these cookies transcend the realm of padkos. I often whip them up for birthdays and sometimes just for funsies. And I find baking really relaxing.
Another truth to be told: These cookies are literal perfection. That isn’t even a cheeky humble brag because I can’t take any credit for the recipe. I was perusing Pinterest that one time about 2 years ago in pursuit of Nutella cookie inspiration and happened upon it. I tried it out, decided they were the literal crack of cookies and have been making them ever since.
Crispy on the outside, chewy in the middle, slightly nutty but also salty, and not too sweet thanks to the 70% Lindt chocolate bar I chop up and chuck in the bowl. And if you’re not drooling by now you can’t hang out here anymore. I don’t make the rules.
Okay less talky more bakey. The original recipe can be found here, and it’s super simple and easy to follow. Below is a simple version as scrawled down in my own recipe notebook, with my notes and adjustments added.
What you’ll need:
- 115g unsalted butter (preferably softened to room temperature but if you’ve left it in the fridge, warm it in the microwave for a smidge)
- 150g packed light brown sugar (I use muscavado)
- 100 granulated sugar (I use regular ol’ brown sugar here)
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Nutella (N.B. DON’T FORGET TO GIVE IT A GOOD STIR before using to stop the cookies from spreading)
- 295g flour
- 1 tsp corn starch (TBH I’ve left this out on occasion and they still turned out perfectly so if you don’t happen to have this in your pantry it’s not a huge stress)
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda (wouldn’t recommend leaving this out. Tried that. Failed)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (for this I just chop up a whole slab of 70% Lindt. Make sure to chop it up pretty small otherwise it’s difficult to mix)
What you gotta do:
- Preheat oven to 180℃
- Line baking trays (I use 2 medium-sized ones)
- Beat butter for 1 minute-ish until smooth and creamy (I use a standing mixer btw)
- Add the sugars and beat until lighter in colour
- Beat in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until combined
- Beat in 1/4 of the Nutella (don’t forget to stir it vigorously in the jar before adding it!) until combined
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt
- Slowly mix in with wet ingredients
- Add the chocolate chips and mix for a couple seconds
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup of Nutella and beat for a couple seconds so it “streaks” through the dough (it’s also at this point that anyone in the vicinity will start circling the mixing bowl like a shark waiting to swipe its cookie dough prey)
- Scoop and roll balls of dough (about a Tbsp each)
- Bake for 10-12 mins until slightly golden brown around the edges (be warned, they’ll still be a little soft when you take them out, but they’ll firm up as you leave them to cool)
- Allow to cool
Now excuse me while I go to gym because I’ve BEEN munching away at these.